MA students must hold an undergraduate degree before enrolling.
To begin the application process, you must first complete the
Submit official transcripts from any colleges or universities that you have attended. Transcripts must be sent via mail directly from the issuing institution, as well as uploaded by you to Slideroom. Transcripts marked "Issued to Student" are not considered official transcripts.
Letters of Recommendation
Submit two letters of recommendation that attest to your creative ability, self-discipline, academic record, and commitment to your intended area of study. Letters should be from academic mentors, instructors, advisors, or professional supervisors, clients, or employers. Graphic and web design applicants may reuse one previously submitted letter of recommendation from a previous application to the graphic design or interactive design and marketing post-baccalaureate programs.
Provide the following information in two pages or less.
MA in Graphic and Web Design
- How do you see the MA in graphic and web design helping you achieve your professional goals? (300-word limit)
- Students are required to identify a research and design problem to pursue during the course of the program resulting in a capstone project. Please describe the research topic and design challenge you will explore during your coursework in the program. Examples may include social, political, global, economic, environmental, technological, small business challenges, etc.
- How many 3-credit courses per semester do you plan to take during your time in the program? One course per semester equals part-time attendance.
MA in Sustainable Design
- List your top three career goals. How do you expect this MA in sustainable design to help you achieve your professional goals?
- What has been your experience with the process of design?
- Present an example of your past engagement in the field of sustainable design. How did this experience influence your perspective on your role as a sustainable designer?
Submit a current copy of your résumé that highlights your past and present professional and volunteer work experience, appointments, awards, grants, scholarships, accolades, etc., as relevant, in four pages or less.
Portfolio (graphic and web design program only)
MA in graphic and web design applicants should submit ten pieces that demonstrate your strongest work. Applicants with experience in interactive media should submit a selection of no more than ten screenshots and may submit a video no more than three minutes in length. Still images (JPEG, up to 10MB each), Video (up to 500MB each), Audio (up to 60MB each) and Models (Sketchfab). You may also link to media from YouTube, Vimeo, and SoundCloud. The quality of presentation is taken into consideration by the graduate committee. Applicants are required to label each work by title, date, media, and dimensions. If the work is a collaborative effort, you must include your role in its creation and development.
Submit 10 pieces that demonstrate design principles (professional, academic, personal) and readiness for the MA in graphic and web design.
- Web Design
- Web Development
- Print Design
- Logo Design
- Motion Graphics
- Branding, Marketing, Identity
Personal Video Statement (optional)
- The most important reason you are motivated to study your chosen area of focus.
- At least one goal you hope to achieve in your graduate education.
- Why you think MCAD is the best place to achieve your goals.
Minimum score: 100
MCAD accepts the . The Duolingo English Test is an online English proficiency test that can be taken online, on-demand, in under an hour for only $49. The test is taken via a computer with a camera and includes a proficiency score, video interview, and writing sample which are shared with MCAD when you send your results. Certified results are available within 48 hours of the test session.
Official English translations of all transcripts
Proof of citizenship (a photocopy of your passport is suitable)
Please use the following address when mailing admissions materials to MCAD.
MCAD Admissions Office
2501 Stevens Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55404