Marina Harkness talks about the teaching artist minor at MCAD.
Gain the skills and sensibilities to foster art and design learning experiences in school and community settings.
A teaching artist is a professional artist with skills of an educator who can effectively engage a wide range of people in arts learning and experiences. Teaching artists work in schools, afterschool programs, community organizations, social service agencies, health care, creative aging, and more.
This minor provides the opportunity to develop a meaningful connection between your studio practice and teaching and prepares you for a teaching artist career.
Through the Teaching Artist Minor You Will:
- Apply practices and theories of arts education and community engagement
- Learn about best practices in arts education
- Develop and implement lesson plans, assessments, and a reflective teaching practice
- Receive ongoing, individualized support from faculty, teachers, mentors, and peers
- Gain professional experience and an understanding of career opportunities in the field