Students talk about studying product design at MCAD.
You may not think about the design of your phone case or favorite water bottle, but someone was thinking of you when they designed it.
Nearly every human-made object you interact with—no matter how mundane—was influenced by a product designer. In MCAD's product design major you will master the interplay of design, usability, and manufacturing to create inspiring everyday products.
As a Product Design Major You Will:
- Develop and refine your ideas about how products work, look, and feel in two-, three-, and four-dimensional sketches, in a variety of media
- Build models, functional prototypes, and digital representations to test your ideas
- Communicate your ideas in compelling ways to clients, users, manufacturers, investors, and business partners
- Understand the historic, economic, and environmental factors impacting product design
- Advocate for the person who will use the product, even when they are not the one buying it
- Gain foundational skills in a variety of creative media
- Acquire the skills and knowledge for a professional career in a variety of fields